Good morning y’all –
Last night I made for the very first time Mushroom Asiago Chicken and rice. My husband claims this is “the best thing I have made yet!”. When I found this recipe on bakeatmidnite.com, I heard a similar story so I thought this would definitely be a hit with my man, although he really loves ALL food. I have adapted the recipe and instructions based on how I tweaked it. I am a big encourager of substituting more complicated or certain ingredients for things I already have in my cupboard. For example, the original recipe calls for fresh thyme but I substituted thyme from a spice jar and I think it was still absolutely delicious, if I do say so myself!
Mushroom Asiago Chicken
Adapted from the bakeatmidnite.com recipe.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30-40 min
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 large)
2 cups of mushrooms, cut in half or sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp of thyme
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup seasoned flour (See below for recipe.)
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Pound chicken breast with a meat mallet between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap until meat is uniform thickness; about 1/4-inch. Cut into serving-sized pieces (2 or 3 pieces per breast).
2. Heat the butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in deep, heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium heat.
3. Mix together seasoned flour in a medium sized bowl. Dredge chicken in the seasoned flour. Add to hot oil & butter in skillet. Sauté the chicken until golden on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from pan and place on a clean plate.
4 Add remaining olive oil to hot skillet. Sauté mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown.
5. Add white wine & thyme to the skillet and heat through.
6. Add the chicken back to the skillet. Bring the chicken, white wine, and thyme mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken from the pan again and place on a plate. Add the heavy cream and heat through. Then add the asiago cheese and heat it through. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until cheese melts.
8. Add the chicken back to the skillet and heat through.
Serve with rice or pasta & a fresh vegetable. We ate Rice-A-Roni’s Herb & Butter rice with our Mushroom Asiago Chicken and baked squash (not pictured here).
Hope you enjoy this southern comfort meal! We will be having this more often in our meal rotation that's for sure!